Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Oreos and Isbell

I am a few weeks into my recovery and so far things are going ok. I am slowly integrating myself back into life and bringing things back into my life. I feel I might be losing a little touch with what I got from the PHP program but I think it is bound to happen when you integrate back with life. I am thinking I am going to go through all my stuff again this weekend just to keep it top of mind. I have been completely astounded by the reactions and messages of support I have received from others since I outted my depression on Facebook. A lot of people have the same issue and I really feel that in a small way I helped the cause of depression and Stigma fighting. I fear that a lot of people misinterpreted my intentions as looking for attention and sympathy but that was not it at all. I was reluctant to do so just because of that reason. But after knowing that recovery is possible and that there is such good help available, I wanted to get a face to the disease and perhaps encourage others to think differently about it.


Throughout my recovery there has been 2 constants that have aided me and been instrumental to my recovery.... Oreo's and Jason Isbell. I am consuming more Oreo's than I ever have in my life. I could put down an entire bag of them a day and still want more. It has become almost an addiction. I can't describe the draw to them but Jesus - Oreos fucking rock my world right now. For the record - just the regular OG Oreos. None of that newfangled Thins or double stuff or different flavors. The intentions behind those are good and I am sure they are just as delicious, if not more, but right now - just a sleeve of regular Oreo's and a glass of milk and I am a happy man.




Another thing that has been hugely instrumental is the music of Jason Isbell. I have always been familiar with him and his music but never really took the time to dive into it and appreciate it. I took a liking to a few of his new tunes and started to dig in. The more I listened, the more I fell in love. Every album has a different feel, vibe and sound. His songwriting is matchless. His way with words is simply a gift from God. He sings so passionately and heartfelt that when I was in my shit, it just resonated so well with me. Or as my wife put it "his music spoke to you when you needed to be spoken to." Ain't that the truth. I seriously haven't gone a day in the past 3 months without listening to him in some way. Be in the shower, doing dishes, driving, walking the dogs etc. It is constant. I have a DVD of him at Austin City Limits and I swear I have played it 100 times so far. I am surprised my wife hasn't gone insane yet. But it is giving me something to relate to and makes me happy. I have seen him live twice in the past 3 months and both shows I was giddy and smiling the entire time. I haven't felt this way for a band since.... I dont know... maybe the first Coheed and Cambria album? Either way - his music, voice, songs and lyrics are speaking to my soul and when I meet him someday, I will tell him the profound impact that he had on my life and my recovery. 





Song of the day - Across Five Years Boysetsfire
"I lose my life and take it back. Crashed this side of happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment